We regularly update this list of questions with information drawn from Chinese law, official statements, and our interviews about NGOs’ on-the-ground experiences

The Ministry of Public Security (MPS) has released a list of approved Professional Supervisory Units (PSUs), arranged by field of specialization (see below). In addition, most provincial-level MPS foreign NGO offices have posted more specific PSU lists for their provinces. Using these lists as a guide, organizations can reach out to relevant PSUs directly to request their sponsorship. According to one source, MPS representatives have indicated that the MPS will not assist foreign NGOs by...Read more
Foreign NGOs may conduct work in “fields such as economics, education, science, culture, health, sports, and environmental protection, and for areas such as poverty relief and disaster relief.” Foreign NGOs’ work “must not endanger China’s national unity, security, or ethnic unity; and must not harm China’s national interests, societal public interest and the lawful rights and interests of citizens, legal persons and other organizations.” (A legal person generally refers to a “non-human entity that is...Read more
The Ministry of Public Security (MPS) is approving new Professional Supervisory Units (PSUs) to sponsor foreign NGOs, in addition to those that were originally included on the 2017 list of eligible PSUs. As of May 1, at least 11 unlisted PSUs have sponsored foreign NGOs. As the MPS has previously stated, foreign NGOs may request that the MPS or local public security bureau add a new PSU to the list. If new PSUs are willing...Read more
A list of successfully registered NGOs is available here (in Chinese) on the Ministry of Public Security’s main NGO website. The China NGO Project also maintains a map with information about approved NGOs, including their location of registration, sector of work, and Professional Supervisory Unit.Read more
There is no formal written Ministry of Public Security (MPS) definition of a temporary activity. This category appears largely to be a mechanism by which the MPS can remain apprised of foreign NGO activity in China, even if a Foreign NGO does not have a permanent presence in the mainland. However, Articles 3 and 5 of the Foreign NGO Law still apply to temporary activities.Read more