You are here

May 17, 2019

If My NGO Wants to Work Throughout China Does It Need a National-Level Professional Supervisory Unit?

Does my organization have to pair with a National-Level Professional Supervisory Unit in order to carry out work throughout all of China? What if it is registered at the provincial level?

Though the Ministry of Public Security does not appear to have issued official written guidance on this point, the registrations of multiple foreign NGO representative offices show that groups registered at the provincial level can indeed work throughout all of China if their Professional Supervisory Units (PSUs) agree. As of March 2019, there are approximately 90 groups, registered in Anhui, Beijing, Chongqing, Fujian, Gansu, Guangdong, Guangxi, Shandong, Shanghai, Sichuan, Tianjin, Yunnan, and Zhejiang, that have provincial-level PSUs and are authorized to work throughout China.

Support ChinaFile

Tell us more!

Do you have more information to add to this FAQ? Does your experience differ from what we’ve reported here?

Send us your corrections, additions, and thoughts. Contact us at or using one of the other contact formats listed on our About page.