You are here

June 16, 2019

What Is the Difference between Registering a Representative Office and Filing for Temporary Activities?

What is the difference between registering as a representative office and filing for temporary activities? Should my organization register as a foreign NGO or simply hold a temporary activity?

A representative office allows for the establishment of a full-time presence in mainland China. For organizations that do not require such a constant in-country presence, filing to hold a single or multiple temporary activities is an alternative way to carry out projects in China. See our FAQ series on representative offices and temporary activities for more information on each.

Support ChinaFile

Tell us more!

Do you have more information to add to this FAQ? Does your experience differ from what we’ve reported here?

Send us your corrections, additions, and thoughts. Contact us at or using one of the other contact formats listed on our About page.