You are here

April 23, 2017

Are NGOs in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau Subject to This Law?

Are Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau considered “foreign” under this law?

Yes. The term 境外 (jing wai) used in the law, which we translate as “foreign,” is frequently translated as “overseas,” but its literal translation is “outside the borders.” For legal and regulatory purposes, jing wai includes Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau.

Support ChinaFile

Tell us more!

Do you have more information to add to this FAQ? Does your experience differ from what we’ve reported here?

Send us your corrections, additions, and thoughts. Contact us at or using one of the other contact formats listed on our About page.