You are here

May 21, 2019

How Does My NGO File for a Temporary Activity in Multiple Provinces?

If my organization is carrying out one temporary activity in multiple provinces, must we file in each province, or simply file in the province where our Chinese Partner Unit is located?

There does not appear to be one set answer to this question, despite the fact that a large number of successful temporary activity filings have taken place in multiple provinces. Different provincial Public Security Bureaus (PSBs) have offered differing guidance on this point in the past. Two NGOs that spoke with The China NGO Project said that they were able to file with only one PSB for a temporary activity that took place in multiple provinces. The groups stressed that their good relationship with a determined partner was the key in making the filings a success. Another foreign NGO, however, said it had filed separate sets of temporary activity of documents for each province it worked in, even though its project is listed as a single activity on the MPS website.

An up-to-date filterable table that lists the temporary activities filed by foreign NGOs since January 2017 can be found here.

Support ChinaFile

Tell us more!

Do you have more information to add to this FAQ? Does your experience differ from what we’ve reported here?

Send us your corrections, additions, and thoughts. Contact us at or using one of the other contact formats listed on our About page.